Tuesday, August 23, 2011

You know you attended Ricks College/BYU-Idaho if you...

I had some time where I was thinking about how fun college was, so I decided to make a list of memories that may be somewhat unique to where I attended college.  Make comments and add to the list if you'd like.  Enjoy!

  1. Attended a "Buddy Dance".
  2. Had a curfew--11pm on school nights, 1am on the weekends.
  3. Knew someone who missed curfew, was caught, and had to perform service.
  4. Know what "guys out" refers to.
  5. Experienced your apartment get Q'd.
  6. Got a late pass to stay out after curfew.
  7. Checked out for the weekend.
  8. Knew what time the gates locked to the dorm courtyard.
  9. Attended a candle lighting...or had one for yourself!
  10. Know the significance of M&M's, ice cream, and a steak dinner.
  11. Referred to a certain point in your apartment as the "chastity line."
  12. Had Broulim's deliver your groceries.
  13. Didn't have Broulim's deliver & carried your groceries home for 2 miles.
  14. Learned to catch a ride to go to Broulim's, Wal-Mart, or Albertson's.
  15. Experienced being stuck behind a road closure of I-15 because of snow drifts.
  16. Went on a date that involved a 4-wheeler or "snow machine".
  17. Went to Utah for Conference Weekend.
  18. Received a parking ticket from a Student Patrol.
  19. Recall hymns being played from the bell tower.
  20. Remember "Mission Impossible" music playing to indicate the library was closing.
  21. Learned how to successfully drive on 3-inches of ice.
  22. Knew someone who was a tutor or worked in the Study Lab.
  23. Made an early morning trip to the Idaho Falls Temple.
  24. Took a day trip to West Yellowstone and/or Jackson Hole.
  25. Recreated at Heise, Kelly Canyon or Mesa Falls.
  26. Attended a ward activity at your bishop's house.
  27. Had church in a school classroom.
  28. Were told "ring by spring or your money back!" by people when you went home to visit.
  29. Had friends who did get their ring by spring...or maybe even you!
  30. Sunbathed when the temperatures reached 40-degrees.
  31. Ever referred to Rexburg as "Iceburg".
  32. Know that Rexburg has to be the true Windy City.
  33. Ate at the Galley.
  34. Went country dancing on Wednesday nights.
  35. Attended an event for FA100 with a date.
  36. Danced at Cabaret.
  37. Had weekly clean checks.
  38. Stayed up all night for white glove.
  39. Know what RA stands for.
  40. Spent time in the lounge.
  41. Attended ward prayer.
  42. Had a crush on your FHE brother.
  43. Took pictures in the gardens.
  44. Thought going to "IF" was a big deal.
  45. Shopped at Broulim's.
  46. Ate at Frontier Pies, Craigos, Mill Hollow, Hogi Yogi, Gringos, Big Jud's, or Gordy's.
  47. Fell on the ice.
  48. Laughed when others fell on the ice.
  49. Were only in Relief Society with the odd or even numbered apartments.
  50. Had several wards in your apartment complex.
  51. Referred to the men as RM's or Preemie's.
  52. Spent time playing at Smith & Porter Parks.
  53. Recall the tons of red cinder that were used every winter.
  54. Walked past steaming vents in the sidewalk.
  55. Were thankful for spots where the sidewalks were heated.
  56. Walked to class when it was 10-degrees below zero.
  57. Had a bonfire at the dunes.
  58. Sledded or tubed at the dunes.
  59. Crawled through the civil defense caves.
  60. Know what "Ride Board" refers to.
  61. Loved being spoiled over Mother's Weekend.
  62. Held your scriptures up in the air.
  63. Attended Tuesday afternoon devotionals.
  64. Had your school president be called to be a member of the Quorum of the Twelve.
  65. Know where R Mountain is.
  66. Hiked the Menan Buttes.
  67. Spent time at Beaver Dick Park...and knew why it was named that.
Ahh, seriously, I LOVED college!!!

15 comments:

Erin Camp said...

This is pretty fantastic, I must admit! Ah. The memories.

Dustin and Angie said...

I do remember when you brought me up from Orem and told me everybody falls on the ice, and being a cocky 15 year old I told you how it was going to be and before i could even get both feet out of the car had the infamous red butt.

Amy Lou said...

The Retrix Dance club! Loved that list. Brought back tons of memories. THE GREEN BELT...which no longer exists. Sunday rolls in the cafeteria. mmmmmm

Vanessa said...

Loved your list...especially how they played mission impossible when the library was closing!

Jackson Family said...

very great list Keri, loved it. I love my time at Ricks/BYU-I. I love my long lasting friends I made. Thanks for all the great memories.

Nicole said...

I LOVE IT!! Ricks was AWESOME! Hmm...I may have to copy ur idea & some of ur notes some day! thanks so much for that walk down memory lane! Ur awesome, keri!

Janell said...

Sheesh, I missed out by not going to Ricks! Sounds like such a fun college experience :)

Unknown said...

I thought it was red rock? I remembered being freaked out the first time someone offered me a ride to Brolms.. the scared little New Yorker I was.

Lara said...

I love this list! I am so impressed by all the things you came up with. What a great memory you have and what great memories they were!

reddladybug said...

Oh, the memories!

Sandi said...

If you couldn't find a parking spot outside your own housing complex--you lived in the dorms! I hated how any student could use the dorm parking lot--where were we supposed to park?

Oh, the many trips I made to Broulims and Walmart for my poor, car-less roommates and neighbors!

Kaleb and Abby Widmier said...

Love it!

Koreena said...

Ah. Such memories. One night a few months ago Dan wanted me to stop doing dishes and get to bed so he played the Mission Impossible Theme song. Funny how that song still sends a flood of panic in me because I'm not done with my work yet! LOL

Dixie said...

Good times! So glad we got to have them!!!

Emily said...

Wow! That was an awesome list Keri! I loved reading every single one!