Monday, May 3, 2010

Good parenting books?

I'm wanting/needing to read some good parenting books.  I honestly have never read even one single book on the topic, but think I might need some help in the discipline department.  (It's nearly 10pm as I type and neither of my girls are asleep.  Jenna continues to go in and out of her room to/from the bathroom...)   So, what have you read & what has worked for you? Do share!!

15 comments:

Paul and Rebecca Jones said...

Love and Logic!!! Love love love it.

Mindy said...

my favorite is Christlike Parenting by Latham. It has alot of examples with older kids, but it all applies and I have found it very useful in many many situations. I have re-read it a couple times because I find myself needing a reminder on what I should be doing.

I do like love and logic, but I felt that some things were good and some just didn't fit for me.

~~heather said...

Love and Logic for us too! They have classes here in town! Contact the district! It has really helped me on so many different levels of raising children with a sense of their own accountability and free agency. :)

Tim & Nancy said...

I recently just finished Secrets of the Baby Whisperer For Toddlers by Tracey Hogg. Good Luck! I want to read the Christ-Like Parenting but I haven't been able to find it.

Lara said...

LOVE AND LOGIC :) I also love the Tough Kid Parenting Book, it is very straight forward and gives you a very structured approach to discipline. Basically the idea in the book is if you have a discipline plan that both you and your children know, you will be a lot more successful. I actually did a post about the book last year. Here is a link to it if you want to check it out. http://laraseaver.blogspot.com/2009/06/unsolicited-advertising.html I obviously have yet to try these techniques out with my own child, but the concepts in them fit my basic philosophy on parenting.

Anonymous said...

Love and Logic :) It's a good one that gives lots of examples of how to deal with situations!!! But I want to try the Christlike Parenting one now...I'm up for any help and the area of discipline is the hardest...Good Luck!!!

ollie said...

I actually like talking to parents with middle school kids and teenagers. Their kids are still young enough that they remember what worked and what didn't, but they are old enough to have some wisdom when it comes to parenting. I have read SO many parenting books and I have gotten the best advice from "seasoned" parents. (Grandparents don't count because they honestly don't remember what it's like. It's been too long!) The big thing I learned: What we often tend to view as bad behavior is really just normal kid behavior. Some kids are hyper, and some are more subdued. Just because one kid kicks and screams and another one doesn't, doesn't mean one is better than the other. We weren't born blank slates after all!

simplysarah said...

I'm not a parent but Unconditional Parenting by Alfie Kohn was a page turner!!! Life changing stuff.

Recommended to me by my sister (mother of 5 children).

Jen Gallacher said...

The Five Love Languages (the children's version) was EYE OPENING for me. It helped me understand how my kids respond to me, and how I can better respond to them. It was like someone finally translated so much of their needy behavior. :)

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Ditto to Love & Logic and Christlike Parenting. Can't say if they work or not because mine's too young to be making mayhem, but I enjoyed reading them and hope to check them out later when my kid(s) is(are) older.

I do think if you do Love and Logic you should read the original, not the one aimed at young kids. The original is more well rounded and the kid version is quite simplified and repetitive I think.

I remember enjoying Love Languages too, but I didn't read the one on children's love languages. Love and Logic and Christlike Parenting have pretty similar philosophies I think.

I also agree with Ollie on "misbehavior" being a developmentally normal thing. Little kids can't really be expected to act like adults, especially if they lack the skills to describe what's bothering them.

I would love to read Unconditional Parenting. I hear Alfie Kohn is amazing.

Sorry this is such a long reply. I LOVE books and I LOVE parenting....can't wait til I get to put some of the theories into practice :)

Sandi said...

Love and Logic all the way. Your stress will be gone. You will giggle inside when your kids are disobedient, because it's so fun to discipline. You will be amazed at how quickly they run to do what you want when you give them two choices, both of which you are okay with.

American Falls TaVaci said...

Keri, Love and Logic is AMAZING. I love it. The disciplining is very specific and makes a lot of sense for me.

My VERY favorite parenting book is "The Parenting Breakthrough" by Merilee Boyak. It is LIFE CHANGING. It night not be what you are looking for right now, though, if discipline is your major issue. The Parenting Breakthrough is about teaching your kids to become skilled, independent, responsible, service-oriented people. She lays out a plan for what skills kids should know by what age. For example, kids should be making their beds and their own sandwiches by age 4, they should be making their own drs appointments by age 10, etc. She also talks a ton about teaching your kids about money--savings, interest, credit, budgeting, etc. She even has a savings plan for missions and college, so by the time your kids is 18, he/she has saved up $12,000. IT IS INCREDIBLE. I can't say enough about it!

Emily said...

I was going to say Love and logic as well. I also have Childwise by Gary Ezzo that has some really good points in it. By reading these comments there are several more books that I want to go get! Thanks!

Dixie said...

love Christlike Parenting by Latham

They are always doing Love & Logic classes up here. I bet you could find one in your area.