I had planned to do a gardening update a few weeks ago. I even had the text written, but was waiting for some pictures. I never got around to it. Such is my life right now. So, if you care, here is my current update.
*Squash & zucchini--I had nasty, mating squash bugs all over when we returned from St. George over the 4th weekend. I believe I have successfully killed most of them off. Nothing a little Sevin, chopping off leaves (with eggs) and smashing those nasty things won't do. We've been harvesting lots & even have some to share.
*Tomatoes--My plants are huge. We've harvested several yellow pear tomatoes and they have tasted amazing. My Jetsetter & Celebrity varieties have tons of green tomatoes. However, my Brandywine didn't have any tomatoes last time I checked.
*Cucumber & cantaloupe--We've been harvesting plenty of cucumbers. They taste so good! I counted a week or two ago and we had 15 cucumbers growing. I'm sure there are more now. I think we'll be able to keep up with eating the supply, since our family can eat a whole one with dinner. The cantaloupe have tons of blossoms & cute, fuzzy, green cantaloupes have started growing. Can't wait for them to mature!
*Peppers--We've got plenty of bell pepper & Anaheim's growing. I picked 2 bell peppers that had started rotting on the plant. I need to study up and find what caused this. Randy will be so excited when he's got fresh Anahaim again.
*Sweet potatoes, red potatoes & pole beans--All growing like crazy. I realized last week that I was supposed to thin my pole beans when they were little. Oops! We'll see if that affects the harvest. So far no blossoms on the beans yet.
*Peas, carrots, beets, broccoli & cauliflower--I just planted the seeds last Friday...only about 3 weeks late. My fall garden really does feel like and experiment. I hope the seeds grow!
*Strawberries--Still harvesting them from time to time. My plants are looking good. I'm picking off all runners except those growing to where other plants died. Picking off the runners makes the plants put their energy toward making strawbabies & not new plants.
*Onions--I've saved the best for last! Onion harvest began 2 weeks ago & continues. Each day, more and more plants are falling over, which indicates they are ready to be harvested. Some are big, some are little, but boy, am I getting a supply in my crawlspace! Yea!
11 comments:
That is a beautiful garden! I love it!!!
I am very very impressed! It's an amazing garden, I want to come make some fresh salsa with all your veggies!
You are quite the gardener! Isn't it so fun to be able to eat the fruits and veggies from your own backyard? And I had gross mating bugs on my zucchini plant as well. I'm slowly getting rid of them...I just found another one hanging out there this morning. Arg!!
I am so jealous! Your Garden is B-E-A-utiful! Those onions are amazing!
Holy Cow! That's a lot of food! Is there any way you can take one big picture of the entire garden? I'm curious as to how big it is... it sounds HUGE!
Wow! What a garden. And it looks so yummy too!
Wow. That looks amazing!
I am seriously jealous! We have been stealing from Nolan's parents garden! We don't have a spot ready for our own...maybe next year! You are the Gardening Queen!
Your garden looks beautiful! I'm jealous, I'm afraid my garden has been a little neglected this year. The pictures are awesome, looks like you'll be eating really well!
I am so jealous that is awesome! next year you will have to help me with mine so i can have some good stuff.
i'm going shopping at your house!!
Post a Comment