Thursday, December 4, 2008

Look what I made!

I've always wanted to make a Christmas tree skirt, and now that I have a sewing machine, I wanted to get it done. I did not have a pattern, but I talked the entire process over with my mom (over the phone) and was so excited. After I spent a bundle on fabric, I saw a simple tree skirt at Wal-Mart that I liked for $10. I really questioned myself then. The fabric sat on my dresser for a week just staring me down, so I figured I'd better do something with it. The hardest part was coming up with a pattern--a circle, angles, circumference--all those things I had long forgotten were now needed. The fabric was not easy to cut, either. The only straight lines I had were from the edge of the fabric. Last Saturday, I spent probably 7 hours sewing it, and I love how it turned out. It's absolutely not perfect, but I still think it looks amazing. Pretty good for an amateur seamstress, huh?

And because you will all know our secret now, we do have our tree stacked on about 6 inches of wood to make it look taller from our window. Whatever works!

23 comments:

Paul and Rebecca Jones said...

Wow! I can't to anything without a pattern. Very impressive

Vanessa said...

Isn't having a sewing machine great?! You did an excellent job! I think it's gorgeous!

Vanessa said...

...and I have to add, the display in the middle of it is pretty darn cute too!

Unknown said...

That's awesome. Looks good Keri!

Rachel said...

the skirt looks absolutely gorgeous, way to go! You should be extremely proud.

Koreena said...

That looks great! I've wanted a tree skirt forever, too, but have never gotten around to making one and haven't found one I like in the stores. Yours is just beautiful!

Nalene said...

Keri, you are right it is georgious! I love it. Way to go! ...and yes Jenna is darn cute too!

Nalene said...

By the way, I love your Christmasy background. It inspires me, but not for about a week and a half!

Unknown said...

It looks really good in person as well. Thats amazing how you could do it without a pattern. Every time I try to sew without a pattern it turns out horrible!! Good job at being crafty.

Lara said...

Fantastic job! I am very impressed. It is gorgeous.

Lily said...

Cute, cute, cute!!! I absolutely love it! You are so talented, believe me! :)

Gasaway Family said...

Beautiful! I am so impressed!

Tammy said...

rock on! That is an awesome tree skirt. I wish I could sew. But I don't have the patience for something of that magnitude. You go girl!

Merri Hackett said...

I'm impressed! Looks great!

Amber said...

You are amazing!!! It looks really good. How did your cutains turn out that you were sewing?

Anonymous said...

Keri you did an EXCELLENT job!! Before I read the paragraph following your picture I thought where did she get that I need one. It is absolutely beautiful.

Sandi said...

Great job! You should be really proud!

Dana P said...

That skirt looks amazing! Really, you did an awesome job! After Christmas you should wear it to Church! :)

The Bundrocks said...

Looks great Keri. Now you can come make me one- I've only been putting it off for 8 years.
HO HO HO Merry Christmas!

Chad Bennett said...

so the person who had their tree up wasn't you. It was a white tree in a window next to the Swasey's, but that's funny! We usually don't pass by the front of your house as often as the side! HEHE. But I bet my kids noticed yours too.

The Chizel Family said...

sign me up for one! its looks awesome

Vanessa said...

I didn't mention it! It was super sad for my kids. She got Parvo and died with in two days of knowing it! We only had her for about a month!

ollie said...

Dang Keri, that's AWESOME! I can't believe you did that without a pattern!!!!!!!!

But yeah, I know what you're saying about the cost of the materials vs. buying something in the store. 9 times out of 10 you can buy something cheaper than you can make it. However, sometimes the homemade version is just so much sweeter (and much more special).