I know some of you have been waiting on this. I feel like I'm not accomplishing much these days, but then I realize it hasn't been all that long since I had Bryn. I'm just thankful for patient kids and a patient, helpful husband. Oh, and wonderful friends, family & neighbors help, too! I have yet to make an evening meal for my family because of all the help that has been offered.
Okay, to the story...
I had gone into the doctor on Thursday, the 2nd because my blood pressure was higher than it should have been. (It was already high, but it had gone up even more.) I wasn't scheduled for my regular appointment for a few days, but they decided to just make that my regular appointment. Of course, when I got there, my blood pressure was in it's "normally" high range. I was 2cm & 70%. After laying on my left side, my blood pressure didn't really drop much, so they put me on partial bed rest. I was to go in the following Monday for a non-stress test, and the dr scheduled an induction date of Dec. 15th to ensure that I could get my two doses of penicillin for Strep B. If my blood pressure went up again & wouldn't come back down, I was to go back in.
Early Saturday morning, Dec. 4th, I woke up with a bad headache. Jenna was asleep on our bedroom floor (her eardrum had ruptured the night before), so I quietly stepped over her & went to the bathroom to take my blood pressure. It was 153/100--too high. I tried to lay back down on my left side & fall back asleep, but my head just hurt too bad. After about 30-45 minutes, I went downstairs to take my BP again. This time it was 163/110. Crazy! I called my sister, Dixie, who was working a night shift at a hospital in Idaho. She asked the L&D nurses on her floor what I should do. They told me to call my dr right away. I was able to track down an after-hours number that directed me to a local hospital (not the one I was delivering at). They told me to go in. I wondered about driving myself since my family was all asleep, but the L&D nurses in Idaho told me NOT to drive myself, but to lay down in the car.
I wasn't sure what to do. I went up and put clothes on and woke Randy up. He was in a confused daze. I decided to call my visiting teacher, thinking she might be up at 5:45am on a Saturday. She actually was awake, getting ready to head to the gym, but didn't hear my call. I then called my RS president, Jen. I knew she was headed out of town, but I was hoping she could help...and she could! Of course, I was crying on the phone as I asked for help. She offered to drive me to the hospital, which worked out perfect. Randy was able to be at home with our sick kids until we knew what was going on.
I got checked into the hospital around 6:30am. They got me hooked up the the monitors. My blood pressure was still way too high. They called the doctor who was on call for my doctors. It just so happened to be Dr. Crouch, the same dr who I had seen when I was pregnant with Sydney in Idaho & who had broken my water with her. After listening to what was going on with me, and knowing that I was 37 weeks 5 days, he told the nurses he would probably just induce me. That was definitely the best of all the options!
I got hooked up to pitocin, magnesium sulfate (to keep me from seizing with such high BP), and penicillin. I was still a 2 & 70%. Randy arrived around 8:15am, and Jen left at 8:30am. Dr. Crouch arrived just before 9am and broke my water. Randy had a final presentation for one of his Master's classes, so he left around 9:15am to head over to UVU. I hadn't gotten much sleep for a few nights, so I tried to close my eyes & rest when he left. My sister, Kelsey, came by a bit after he left. While she was there, they recommended I get an epidural. I didn't know if I wanted one, but they were worried that not having one may make my BP go even higher. So, even though I wasn't hurting very badly, I got one. Kelsey was also a great help as I would have some contractions doing counter-pressure, which felt great. When Randy got back from class at 10:45am, Kelsey left.
At 11:10am, I was a 4+. After a little bit, Randy was hungry & wanted to go get a bite to eat. He debated going home, but I suggested to go somewhere nearby...I'm glad I did! Randy returned at 11:55am. At noon the nurse checked me again & I was an 8, and the baby's head was crowning.. The dr was quickly called. (He had gone home & was a good 25+ minute drive from the hospital.) A flurry of activity happened as my blood pressure dropped to a normal range & the baby wasn't responding well to that. I was then given meds to make my blood pressure go back up. The nurse did her best to talk to my & try to distract me from wanting to push. Dr. Crouch got there & asked if he had time to change. He went ahead & quickly did. As soon as my legs were lifted onto the stirrups, the baby was coming out on her own. I gave 1/2 of a push, and at 12:36pm Bryn Louise Chipman was born. The first thing I said as she was lifted onto my belly was "Wow, she's tiny!" Dr. Crouch tossed a washcloth to Randy and told him to wipe her off. I was given one, too. Bryn didn't cry very much & we were concerned, but they assured us that she was fine. Randy was able to cut her cord. She weighed 5lbs 11oz, and was 17 1/2 inches long.
I recovered very well, but I mentioned on Facebook that Bryn was having a few issues in the hospital. She has reflux, which causes her to hold her breath at times. This would cause her oxygen saturation levels to drop, so she had to be on a monitor. She also had a hard time keeping her body temperature up all the time & her blood sugar levels dropped too low a few times. She also had a heart murmur that healed itself. The poor girl was subjected to a lot--EKG, chest x-rays, feeding tubes down her throat, feet constantly being pricked for blood, being attached to a monitor, and spending time in the incubator--but in the end we were able to bring her home after 2 days. Despite all the scariness of having some new medical issues for both Bryn and I, I really had a great experience with the hospital staff, Dr. Crouch, and with my OB.
Bryn truly is a joy to all of us. She is such a mild baby. She has started expressing herself more lately by crying & she definitely has a preference for me, which I don't mind so much. We all love her so much & are thankful that she's a part of our family.
6 comments:
Wow, I'm glad everything went all right. Imagine, your blood pressure going normal and the baby not liking it! Crazy story, thanks for sharing.
I'm so glad everything turned out alright. I didn't know she was that tiny when she was born! It's amazing with all those issues that she was able to come home after just 2 days. And that's so funny that Dr. Crouch was the one to deliver her!
I am glad everything turned out for you and Bryn. I'm sure that must have been really stressful for you worrying about her and your blood pressure. That is slightly funny and ironic that Dr. Crouch delivered her. He was our bishop the first semester after Alan and I got married.
Keep recovering well! I enjoy seeing pictures of your little one and can't wait to meet her at some point!
So glad to hear everything went well! I'm actually having BP issues right now too, but I'm not quite that high and a bit farther along. So...we'll see if I get induced here in a few days. Crazy pregnancy bodies! Glad to hear all is well!
That is awesome Keri, I am so happy for you. I bet it feels so good to not be pregnant. New baby's are always fun.
This is Kristie Carlson:
how scary! I don't like scary when I'm pregnant or have a new baby! I'm glad both of you are doing well. If you ever want to feel better about your house being messy, come take a peek at mine...
Post a Comment