Monday, August 13, 2007

West Nile What?

No pictures from this weekend, but had this cute one of Jenna & wanted to post it.
Anyway, as I mentioned in my last post, I have been sick. My symptoms didn't seem like anything I knew, so on Saturday morning, the thought occurred to me that I could have West Nile Virus, since I had been bitten by mosquitos recently. So...I went to my favorite medical site, http://www.mayoclinic.com/ (where I also "diagnosed" Randy's appendicitus), and I had many of the symptoms of West Nile Fever. The website said to go to the doctor if you were breastfeeding, so I went in. Here are a few things I learned.
  • Many people get West Nile Fever, but never know that's what they have.
  • Only 1% of those with West Nile Fever develop West Nile Virus, which leads to horrible neurological sicknesses.
  • The antibodies that fight West Nile don't show up on tests until at least 7 days after the onset of symptoms.
  • They only run the test if you are quite ill.
  • Unless you are very ill, the only thing you can do is take ibuprofen or such.
  • USE BUGSPRAY!!
Needless to say, I wasn't tested & it was a waste of a copay. Better safe than sorry, though. I am getting better each day & hope to feel 100% soon.

1 comment:

Candace said...

west nile virus?! crazy! glad it's no big deal.