Sunday, August 10, 2008

Let canning season begin!

Yesterday marked the beginning of my canning for this summer/fall. I canned 5 pints of diced tomatoes from my garden. I had a 6th pint, but the bottle broke during the water bath. I have a feeling I will be doing a lot more of this. I do use a lot of diced tomatoes in my cooking, so it will be wonderful to have!
I also shredded and froze 12 crookneck squash. There is no way that we will eat all of it while it's fresh... I had been in the habit of giving away all that we couldn't eat while it was fresh, but I got smart & realized I should be preserving it. I'm sure I'll still be sharing, but I also look forward to stocking my pantry and freezer with all the good stuff we've grown.

By the way, if any of you that live around here want to learn how to can, I'd love to show you how. I'm a novice myself, but it's not difficult, and I've got the basic supplies to get the job done. Just let me know!

9 comments:

ollie said...

What do you use shredded squash for?

Keri said...

I'll put it in soups, stews, spaghetti sauce...wherever I can.

Lily said...

Wow, those looks delicious! I am so jealous, wish I had a garden. Maybe I will take you up on learning to can. I used to help my Mom growing up, but I can't remember how to do it anymore. It's been way to long.

Vanessa said...

I wish I lived by you...we got a pressure cooker last year for Christmas and have no clue how to use it...you'd think with the mother I had I would have smidget of knowledge about that stuff. I guess I better get the instructions out and get busy!

Megan said...

If I lived by you I would take you up on the offer! Sister Wells is going to show me how to can pickles! I am super excited! Maybe I will get a few more tips from her? Good luck!

Heather said...

WAY TO GO....thanks for making me not feel like an old granny doing all of my canning! :) LOL

Gasaway Family said...

Tis the season isn't it? I just picked 47 roma tomatoes from my garden this afternoon I think I'm going to can some salsa this week, I should do diced tomatoes as well, that's a good idea!

Anonymous said...

WOW, Keri I am so impressed by you!! The only thing I have canned is apple pie filling, but that was with my mom and she did most the work. Keep up the good job and let us know what else you are up too.

Nicole said...

i'd love to take you up on your offer about canning next year (when we have a garden growing stuff....)if it's still good, please. :)