Friday, September 12, 2008

High School Memories

Has anyone wondered where I was? I have. I've been at home trying to juggle life & survive. Anyway, I want/need to get back into the blogging scene after my week-long absence. So, one of my college friends, Koreena, had this on her blog & it looked like fun--especially since most of you have only known me since college or beyond.

1. Did you date someone from your High School?
Nope. I hardly dated in high school. All that magic happened in college, for which I am extremely grateful.

2. What kind of car did you drive?
1981 Chevy Silverado truck, black with many dents and rust spots. It looked better dirty than clean. Oh, and it had a green toolbox on it, too. And it kept running (puttering) after the ignition turned off. And it didn't always need a key to start. Oh, the memories!

3. What was the most embarrassing moment of High School for you?
I honestly don't have one.

4. Were you a party animal?
If you know me at all, you know the answer to this...Definitely not! (I have a real fear of getting in trouble, seriously.)

5. Were you considered a flirt?
I wanted to say never, but I'm afraid there were a few times that I was. Not as a whole, though.

6. Were you in Band, Orchestra, or Choir?
Not in high school. I did 2 years of choir in middle school, though.

7. Were you a nerd?
I'm sure many would say so, but I don't think I was.

8. Were you on any Varsity teams?
Not really, but I did get a varsity letter my sophomore year for being a varsity girls' basketball statistician. Now that really makes me sound like I was a nerd! I wasn't!

9. Did you ever get suspended/expelled?
Nope. Refer to my fear of getting in trouble.

10. Can you still sing the fight song?
Ummm, no...

11. Who were your favorite teachers?
Mr. Haroldson (3 years as a science/chemistry teacher). He was my first dose of someone saying they thought the LDS church was a cult, but he was a really good guy. He truly cared about me as a student & believed in me. I also really liked Ms. Curtin (2 years of English) & Ms. Hume (2 years of history). Both Ms. Curtin & Ms. Hume had & survived breast cancer while they were my teachers.

12. Where did you sit during lunch?
In the cafeteria, although I always brought my lunch.

13. What was your school's full name?
Kirtland Central High School

14. School mascot?
Broncos

15. Did you go to Homecoming? With whom?
Nope. I told you, I didn't date much at all in high school.

16. If you could go back and do it again, would you?
High school? No way! Lots of great learning and growing experences, but college was so much better. I might go back and do college again!

17. What do you remember most about graduation?
Leading my entire graduating class in & being nervous. I also vaguely remember giving my speech. I was also the first to graduate, but I really don't remember much else.

18. Where did you go Senior Skip Day?
I don't think we had one. Did we?

19. Were you in any clubs?
Business Professionals of America (1 year, but I wish I had done it all 4 years!), NHS (2 years)

20. Have you gained some weight since then?
I weighed 112 pounds my senior year, so yes...

21. Who was your Prom Date?
I didn't go to prom! I know what you're thinking, what a dud. In my defense, I was at BPA nationals in Philadelphia having the time of my life during my senior prom.

22. 10 year Reunion? Are you planning on going?
I think so. I'd love to see some older, familiar faces.

23. Looking back, what advice would you give yourself?
Honestly, I don't know what I would change or do differently. I definitely learned a lot about relationships. If I could counsel others, I would say not to worry about having a boyfriend/girlfriend. I'm so glad I waited to really date & have relationships until college.

7 comments:

The Bundrocks said...

Sounds a lot like my high school experience...but I didn't speak at graduation. My better days were in college too when I discovered there is so much more after high school! I look at kids these days and in retrospect we are all just babies in high school. Wow! What lies ahead!

Koreena said...

That was interesting. Thanks for sharing! You and I are alike in that college was much better than high school and we both have a fear of getting in trouble. :)

Amanda said...

I am grateful that I did know you in High School. Yay for skipping out on Senior Prom to go on a way better trip! That was so much fun! Thanks for being such a great friend to me way back in the good ol' days.

Paul and Rebecca Jones said...

ah high school - such fun. It was fun to hear about you in high school. But I agree, I would do college over again in a second but NEVER high school.

Lily said...

That was a cute post. I dated but never really went to the silly dances either. And I totally agree that the magic happens after High school is over. Thank goodness because the older wiser boys were the cream of the crop! :)
Is Randy home yet?

Vanessa said...

OK I have to say "Ewe" to Mr. Haroldson... but I have to agree with the whole relationship thing...I wish I would have just "dated" instead of a steady boyfriend.

Anonymous said...

Ok so I agree with Vanessa on the Mr. Haroldson thing but you know you had a good strategy in high school. College is definately more fun I hope to get that across to my kids. By the way do remember when you were driving the black truck (I think home from school)and were comming down our road and got a ticket!! I laughed so hard because it should have been me. I drove way too fast but now I am a mom and so we drive in the slow lane.