Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Yes, we herded cattle!

Yesterday evening, I got a call from my cousin, Courtney.  She sounded really stressed.  Her brother's bulls were out and she needed help rounding them up.  (Her brother, Jake, had a health scare yesterday & wasn't able to help.)  Luckily, Randy had just left work and would meet us.  Courtney had recruited a mirad of Jake's friends, her in-laws, and a neighbor to assist.  A good Samaritan, who had been driving down the interstate, stopped to help as well.  I think it ended up being the perfect amount of help that was needed.

Long story short, Courtney and Jake's friends chased the bulls and separated them from the neighboring cows that they had gotten with.  Courtney, chest deep in water, chased them back across the canal, back to where their steers were.  All of the bulls and steers then had to be herded about a mile away to be put into a more secure spot.  The first 6 went fairly easily, but the last 5 had a harder go of it, but they were finally herded in the right direction.  We spent nearly 2 hours at it.  Our girls did remarkably well waiting in the car.  Randy and I both really enjoyed helping out, but were glad it wasn't us having to stress about it.  It was quite the adventure and break from everyday life for us! 

9 comments:

Unknown said...

oh the fun of chasing cows!! glad you guys were able to help and get them all back in!

Nalene said...

That's why I don't want horses around where I have to chase them. There are few things more frustrating than animals that get out of their fenced space!

Merri Hackett said...

ugh reminds me of too many memories growing up. so glad I don't live on a farm any more :)

Vanessa said...

Oh I don't think I would have been able to help...I'm pretty scared of cows! Don't laugh to hard!

Tammy said...

that's awesome! that's a pretty big break from ordinary life!

Mel and Angus said...

Can I say . . . Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You! It is so nice to know that my kids have some family around to help out!

Amanda said...

Way to go Keri!

Jackson Family said...

Holy cow!!! he he :)

Courtney said...

Yeah, about that...Thanks a million again. We really appreciated your help!