Wednesday, January 2, 2008

A little piece of my heart

Oh, what a crazy past few weeks it has been!!! This past weekend, we had a total of 6 house guests from 2 different families. We also fed several other family members who happened to be in town. We love having visitors, so it was hectic, but nice.

As soon as our guests left on Monday morning, we left for Idaho (which, coincidentally, was where ALL of our guests were headed, too). We went to Rexburg to visit Dixie (my sister), Alan (my brother) and their families. While there we also were able to visit some good friends, the Bozung's. We also had tickets to the Rexburg Temple open house...which was amazingly beautiful. I'm not sure what it is, but I'm really able to step back and look at the beautiful workmanship of temples when I go through open houses. It was a relaxing, yet rewarding trip.

So, let me reminisce for a few moments... As we neared the Utah-Idaho border, I counted down to Sydney for when we would be in Idaho. I got really excited. Randy thought I was strange, but whatever! Idaho (and Rexburg, in particular), has a very special part of my heart. It's the place where I first lived on my own and, in many ways, grew up. It's the place where I spent the first 3 years of married life. It's the place where my first home was owned, and my first child was born. So many more experiences took place there during the nearly 6 years that I lived there, and my memories are fond. I don't know if there is really any way to describe the way I felt as we crossed into Idaho and headed toward Rexburg, but it made my heart swell. Although I came back "home" to Utah today, it definitely didn't make my heart swell. Maybe time will change that. For now, and probably for all time, I will be deeply grateful for that small farming town that means so much to me and has played a major part in shaping my life.

I guess that's my story. It does feel good to be back home. I look forward to life getting back to normal. I'm sure that feeling won't last for long--I'll be begging for a vacation soon enough, I'm sure.

5 comments:

Rachel said...

What a nice trip. I know how you feel with a place holding a special place in your heart becuase of the memories that took place there. My sister and her 2 girls are going to the open house today I think.

Amber said...

I feel the same way. When we were getting ready to graduate we were so ready to leave but when the time finially came I stepped back and remembered all that had taken place in Rexburg. Lived on my own, met wonderful people, got married, recieved a degree, and had two children. What a great place.

Unknown said...

I know what you mean about Rexburg having a place in your heart. Everytime I go away and then come back I get excited and can't wait to be there. It is like home to me. Ive lived here for the last 4 1/2 years and its hard to imagin me being anywhere else. I love it.

Dixie said...

you know, we could always use more family in Idaho--hint, hint!

Lara said...

My sentiments exactly! Lots of great memories in that place. How cool that you were able to make it to the temple open house. Happy New Year to you!