Thursday, April 3, 2008

Have I ever mentioned...

...how much I love gardening? Okay, I thought so. Well, Randy has done a lot already to prep our yard for this upcoming summer. He has cut out some of our sod so that we can double the size of our garden. He has also brought in compost, done a lot of tilling & ran a water spout to our garden area (we had just sprinkled our garden last year). So, it's about time I got myself going! Here's what I've been doing in the yard:

*edging my garden area. It was a bit rough after the sod cutter.
*cutting out grass along the fenceline that the sod cutter couldn't get.
*cleaning up all the grass scraps & dead leaves that seem to multiply.
*fertilizing my garden area & raking it in.
*pulling out my strawberry plants. I'm going to plant a different variety this year that will do better in our soil.
*digging up & replanting some weigela & fescue so my strawberries can have an entire planting bed to themselves.
*making rough furrows in my garden. I need to make sure they are completely straight and even, though.

Still on the agenda:
*plant my onions that I got in the mail today & possibly plant some peas, even though it's getting to be a little late for that.
*prep my soil for planting strawberries. I will buy & plant them on Saturday, hopefully.
*buy a few more gardening supplies.
*make wider & edge my tomato bed.
*Oh, and Randy needs to put together a drip line for our garden.

I've got seeds planted indoors & will be putting some of the little peat pellets/plants into larger pots soon. Oh, I'm excited!

7 comments:

Paul and Rebecca Jones said...

Wow! You are awesome at gardening

Lily said...

Good for you guys! I'm jealous, I don't foresee our garden getting done this year- too many other things to take care of still! Ahhck!

ollie said...

ack!!! I'm so jealous! I want a garden sooooooooooooooooooo bad! We're not allowed to hang plants outside our window, but I'm thinking I might try some herbs on the inside window sill. I'm not sure how they'll hold up in the heat, but I think I'm gonna give it a try. Make sure you take lots of pics of your progress!!!!

Vanessa said...

I love gardening...I used to think my dad was a big nut for doing it! Boy how wrong I was...I am so disappointed I didn't get to do one this spring...I knew I wouldn't have the energy. Dadgumit! Good luck with yours!

Rachel said...

Wow, you're ambitious! Way to go! It'll be yummy when it all comes up. someday we'll get one going, but I don't forsee it happening this year.

amanda said...

so i'm jealous that you can even see your ground now. i can't wait for it to be a little more summer-ie! good for you

corine said...

i'm thinking about doing a garden this year and i don't know where to start. i may need your help:
)