Sunday, March 29, 2009

Your Questions Answered

Here are the answers to your questions & then some.  I had fun with this!

Cheryl asked:  "What's your favorite book?"
I really enjoyed the Prelude to Glory series by Ron Carter.  History + maps + novel = a good book for me!  In all honestly, I would love to read some of the classics from my high school reading lists that I never got around to.  I kept my English & AP History reading lists so I could do just that.  I haven't had a literature class since high school, and I sometimes miss digging deep to discuss and write about books.

Ollie asked:  "What's something you've always wanted to learn how to do, but never got around to it?"
I've really wanted to learn interior design.  I want my house to be beautifully decorated because I designed it.  (Really, I don't want to pay the price tag of someone else doing it...And I'm a bit picky about the style.  I would hire Genevieve Gorder to do it, though.  I'm nearly always happy with the designs she does!)  I also would love to learn how to build furniture.  That one's a bit more of a reality, since I know just the people with the tools!

Sandi asked:  "What's the best thing you ever found at a garage sale?"
Ummm, I've actually never even shopped at a garage sale...  Seriously.  Why, you ask?  Well...I don't enjoy digging through what I percieve to be other people's junk.  I know there are some good finds out there, but the searching is just too overwhelming for me.

Tammy asked:  "So I want to know about your garden.  What have you planted?  Why have you planted so early?  Where did you learn all of your gardening knowledge? ...Also how do you know what to do with all that extra food so it doesn't go bad during the winter?"
Okay, so there are a few basic times when you plant a garden (at least here in UT).  The first time is for the spring or fall garden, and the second is for the summer garden.  The summer garden is typically what you think of, and it's what you wait to plant until after the last frost.  

In my spring garden, I have planted onions, peas (snap & regular), carrots & beets.  I have broccoli and cauliflower that I need to plant, too.  Other spring garden items can include lettuces, radishes...anything that needs to be picked before the summer gets too hot (except for the onions).  These things can be planted again in the late summer to be harvested in the fall, hence the spring/fall garden.  

Much of my knowledge came from attending a class by Bro. Gordon Wells a year ago.  He's a master gardener who lives in this area and has amazing knowledge to share.  Last I heard, he has leukemia & I don't think he's held another set of classes since last year.  I also do plenty of research online.  And trial and error.  My latest lesson learned is that Walla Walla onions are not good storage onions.  This year I'm trying a different onion variety that stores for 10-12 months after harvest.

As far as preserving goes, I pretty much plant what I know we will eat or what I can preserve.  Last year, I had enough to freeze green beans, roasted chile, fresh chile, yellow squash, and zucchini.  I canned diced tomatoes, applesauce, and some yummy zucchini relish.  I dehydrated apple slices, and we also kept red potatoes and onions in our crawl space.  Just be sure you plant what you know your family will eat & just enough for what you want to eat fresh and/or preserve.  Don't overdo it & start simply.  You can always expand your garden next year!

Amanda asked:  "Do you think you and Randy would ever move back to your hometown, or does Utah fit better?"
Neither Randy nor I want to move back to our hometown, but if a good opportunity presented itself there, we would consider it.  Utah fits well, but so did Idaho.  I think we'd be happy anywhere.  I know I've got a bug in my to go someplace different and I'm pretty sure Randy would do the same.  Who knows if we'll stay here or where we will end up...?

My mom asked:  "I just want to know if you're feeling better.  How is your tummy?"
I'm feeling great, Mom!  For the rest of you, I got some kind of stomach/intestinal bug earlier this week and was quite sick.  Randy, ever my hero, stayed home with the kids after I had a horrible night.  It started Tuesday morning and by Thursday afternoon I was back to feeling normal.  I'm so glad it's over!

Koreena asked:  "What do you like most about yourself?"
Wow, now that one takes some thought!...  Something that I've always liked about myself is that I'm well-organized by nature.  Being a mom sometimes gets in the way of that, but I'm so much happier when I can get things in order.  I kinda feel like my "organized" like is lame, so I also like that I'm naturally very loving (touchy-feely) to my family.

I hope you enjoyed this.  I sure did & will probably do it again someday.  Thanks, ladies!  (And thanks, Randy, for not asking what you wanted to ask!)

6 comments:

Lara said...

That was a great idea for a post. It was fun to learn more about you and I learned a lot from your garden post. I am hoping to try my hand at a garden next year, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I will actually have a yard to grow it in.

ollie said...

This was a cool post. It's not very often you get to learn more about a friend that you haven't seen in almost 10 years!

Vanessa said...

Thanks for sharing...I love these kinds of posts!

Nalene said...

That was great reading! I am very impressed. It felt like I was reading information from a perfessional.

Dixie said...

That was a good idea. It was fun to read your answers.

Is it too late to ask a question?

Radene said...

fun to read about you!