I'm planning to have a yardsale in a few weeks. Problem is, I've never shopped at a yardsale & have no idea how to price. Right now I have clothing to sale (baby girls & women's), small kitchen appliances, and a queen-size headboard/footboard/frame. Any advice on what price points to start at?
10 comments:
depends on if you want to make a lot of money or get rid of stuff. And you need to check out garage sales they can be great finds on kids clothes especially with how fast they go through the clothes.
I'd rather make money. It's not a big deal if I have to keep the stuff, but I figure if I can make money, I'll do it.
Oooh! I want to come! I love having yard sales and going to them...not sure what to tell you about prices. Good luck though!
for me personally, I don't spend more than 1-3 dollars on kid clothes at yard sales.
Hmmm... when I go to yard sales I won't pay more than 25 or 50 cents for kids clothes and 1-2 dollars for adult clothes -- no matter how nice. However, you can always price higher and expect people to bargain OR go down in price as the day goes on.
Make it simple like 1.00 for jeans and 50 cents for shirts...etc. That makes it so much easier.
You can look on craigslist.org for kitchen appliances and headboards to get an idea of what to charge. Keep in mind that many people will try to haggle you down, so if this is about money and not de-junking, you need to price accordingly. Personally, though, I hate it when garage sales are overpriced. If something isn't priced at least 1/2 off what I would pay in a store, why would I buy it from someone I don't know and can't return it to if I change my mind?
I agree with Ollie on clothing prices. Clothing is one of the hardest things to sell because people can't (or don't want to) try the items on, and because it's hard to display the clothing well. I am more likely to buy adult clothing if the table is labeled with something like "Women's size M-L tops and 16-18 pants" so I know what I'm looking at before I dig through it.
If you've got just a few nice clothes that you want to sell for a lot (like prom dresses) make sure they are hanging up, and don't be afraid to put a little explanation sign on them to market them. ($40 Satin dress from Margene's Tux and Bridal worn only once and dry cleaned. Paid $290. Size 12 but runs small. Ask to try on!)
If you've got a ton of clothes and don't want to go to too much effort you can throw them in a pile on a blanket. I guarantee that NO ONE will take time to look at them unless you offer an awesome deal like "Fill a grocery sack for $2." and then have grocery sacks on hand for them to use.
Make sure you have lots of change on hand in all denominations, about $40 worth.
Advertise your garage sale on craigslist.org in the garage sale section.
Invite a few neighbors (or your whole street) to have a garage sale at the same time to attract more customers.
Put up signs on major street corners nearby and make your address the biggest thing on the sign. ("Garage Sale" doesn't have to be big because a neon poster board already equals "garage sale" in most people's minds.) Take the signs down afterward!
One last thing,
open up your own sweatshop by having your daughters (with daddy's help) run a kool-aid stand at the sale. You could even have hubby fire up the grill and sell hot dogs for $1 each. Or, keep it simple by selling bottles of water out of a cooler for $1 a piece.
Hope it's a great success!
I don't yard sale much either, but I need to start :). Pricing is tough, either you price too low and it sells way fast and you're like I think I just got gypped, OR you price too high and no one is even willing to haggle the price down and at the end of the day you still have everything :) good luck w/ the pricing!
wow I am surprised at peoples responses. I sell adult jeans for 3-7 unless they are high end and they go on ebay. adult shirts go from 25 cents to 4 dollars depending on brand/condition. kids clothes for me go from 25 cents to 4 dollars, You know me I have had some whopping yard sales and I dont have a problem. people respond better when there is alot of stuff or they may just drive by. Having neighbors doing it is a great plan and the drinks as well. people always want a drink or snack. For sure advertise, true yard salers check the adds the night before and plan their route. Expect people to ask for lower prices, its rare to not bargain. I am having a big one sometime soon. Good Luck!!
oh I wish I could get rid of kams for a few days. :) lucky ducky
Post a Comment