Thursday, August 20, 2009

My new outlook

A few weeks ago, I came to a realization: I don't need to stress about having a messy house. I would still like to be picked up and clean, but I'm learning to not let everyday messes stress me out. And I'm choosing to not feel bad if the floor goes unswept, the dishes aren't done, or the bathrooms aren't sparkling (as if they ever were before this realization, but that's beside the point). Do you see this?

It doesn't bother me if the girls play with the Barbies in the front room...and leave it in the table for days in a row. Now, I do try to have them pick the little pieces up from off the floor, but just letting them leave it out is a huge step for me.

But children do live in this house, after all. So, I say, let them play! And I don't stress about the mess.



Isn't it glorious?

10 comments:

ollie said...

Love it! Love it! Love it!

My carpet hasn't been vaccumed in almost 2 weeks. And that's NOT because I was just busy these past 2 weeks. This is a regular thing. Sometimes I think my husband wishes I stressed more over the house looking nice.

Dusting? I literally can't remember the last time i did that!

Bond Fam said...

I agree Keri!! Of course its nice for a house to not be crazy messy (although mine is often, lol) its also important to let kids be kids and not become OCD about it! One thing I loved about growing up was that my mom was really good at finding the happy medium for this, our house was clean and well kept, but we were allowed to play and get toys out and play with play dough (in the kitchen of course), and just be kids without feeling like we were committing a crime!

Sandi said...

Two weeks, Ollie? Mine hasn't been vacuumed in [cough]2 months! Keri, those kids sure look cute and happy playing to their hearts' content.

Vanessa said...

I have a hard time with this too! I hope I can find that outlook!

Merri Hackett said...

oh how cute. and guess what your house still looks clean in those pictures!

Tammy said...

it's so cute watching your kids play! Who cares about a mess when the kids are happy.

Amanda said...

Good for you! I wish I could let go like you. I go bonkers when I trip over toys constantly. Although I've completely given up on the playroom. I don't even try to keep it clean and organized anymore. It is in a constant state of disarray, and my kids couldn't be happier about it. So, as long as the toys stay in there, things are good.

Unknown said...

Who are you and what have you done with my sista?! Just kidding. Hey, you can only do so much, and it's not really worth stressing over the rest. Of course nobody wants to hear about housecleaning from me LOL! I guess you could send a little of that concern over this way if you're not going to use it :D

~~heather said...

Yes it is!

Dixie said...

Will you please show ALAN this post?? He thinks my house is the only one that ever gets messy. He just never comes by when it is clean (& YES, Alan, if you read this, that does occur, more often than you would suspect!)