Sunday, October 14, 2007

"Bad Mom"? No more.

I've been thinking a lot about motherhood lately. About how difficult it can be, the great rewards that come with it, and of course, evaluating myself every step of the way. Everyone makes mistakes as individuals and as parents. I lose my cool and yell at my girls. I spend too much time doing other things instead of spending time with my girls. Okay, the list could go on and on, as I'm sure every mother's could... However, despite all of my flaws and transgressions, my intentions are still good. I don't abuse my girls. I love them. I want the best for them. I want them to grow up loving the Lord & the gospel, and knowing that the Lord loves them. Part of wanting the best for them is for me to be the best mom I can be and like myself as I do it. With all my thinking, I have come up with one resolution: to eliminate the term "bad mom" from my thoughts and vocabulary. I used to go to bed at night thinking of all the sins I committed as a mother, call myself a bad mom, and be completely overwhelmed. I still recognize the things I need to change and get overwhelmed at times, but I recognize that I'm trying. I truly believe that if I do my best as a mother, the Lord will bless my daughters where I fall short. So, my message to each of you is to give yourself credit where it is due. Don't beat yourself up for mistakes that are made. Instead, take one step in the right direction at a time, and recognize our constant need of our Savior and Lord, Jesus Christ. You are good enough. With that, I want to share one of my favorite pictures as a mother.

11 comments:

amanda said...

That is really a good post! Most nights i think i should have done this with them or that. But the nice things about kids is that they are very forgiving. I have notice if i tell my kids sorry about something i did i usually hear them tell each other sorry when they do something wrong. All in all its good that with every day we get a fresh start. ps love that picture. what are your kids going to be for halloween?

Keri said...

I'm just scraping together costumes this year. Sydney is going to be Elmo & Jenna is going to be a duck.

Janae said...

Thanks. It's always good to remember the positive and to realize we are doing well, despite our faults.

Amber said...

Every mom has days and nights like that. Thanks for the uplifting thought and keep up the good work. That is a really cute picture of the two of you.

Erin L said...

Love the post. Thats what I'm trying to do to. Thanks!

Anthony Jackson said...

Great blog Keri, thanks. It is so true, it is so easy to focus on the bad and not the good. It's Satan's way to pull us down--and its works, huh? I have noticed that with me it all starts when I compare my parenting skills with other mom's, and my child's behavior with other children. Just the other day, I realized that I can't compare, no matter what. I just need to focus on what makes me a good parent, and what makes Sabrina so special.
Rach

Keri said...

Rach--Yes, I think that is one of the great lessons we have to learn: to not compare ourselves with others. Really, if only we saw each other's every move, we probably wouldn't feel so bad about ourselves, after all.

Candace said...

well put Keri....I also have been thinking a lot about this lately, or rather maybe i just think about it all the time anyway. i just want to do things the "right way". Which like you said...is different for all of us. thanks for sharing. by the way....you are an excellent mother!!

Merri Hackett said...

I sent this blog on to my sister who emailed me yesterday saying she was a "bad mom". I'm sure it will help!

Emily said...

Thanks for the good reminder. Lately, being 25 weeks pregnant, I am too tired to think of anything at night, but I have definetly had those days! Your a great example.

Jenson Family said...

Keri,
Yes I absolutely remember who you are!! It is so wonderful to see your adorable little girls and you beautiful flower/garden pictures. You are so amazing. Thanks so much for your thoughts on motherhood. Amen to them all. I'll for sure be keeping in touch! - Amber Olsen Jenson